The village of Sitges

The village of Sitges

The history of the village of Sitges, or how Sitges has become one of the most striking tourist destinations of Catalonia

The town of Sitges is located approximately 40 km south of Barcelona past Garraf mountanins, in the shire of the same name. Its waterfront extends 17 kilometers between the Aiguadolç and Vinyet neighborhood.
Tradition and a number of archaeologists have traced the origins of the villa at the ancient Roman city of Subur , hence the tourist slogan Blanca Subur , although, in fact, the city is first mentioned in a document written in Latin the year 992, where it is called Cegias. Linguists do derive the name of the village of Catalan noun sitja which means “deep hole in the ground”, “gap” or “little hole.”
Current city was formed around the Sitges Castle , whose existence was first mentioned in a document dating from 1047, under the bishopric of Barcelona and later became part of the lineages Centelles and Fonollar, before being acquired by Pia Almoina by hundred thousand sueldos.
El Castillo experienced a series of ups and downs: It was rebuilt in 1523, destroyed in 1649 by the Spanish troops during the Guerra dels Segadors, and rebuilt in 1681. After various adventures, in 1888, the castle was demolished, and its site rise the city hall, designed by Salvador Vinyals.
Since 1788, date in which Carlos III fully liberalized trade with America, people work trade that enrich the city . This euphoria leads to America (Buenos Aires, Mexico and especially the Caribbean) and in northern Europe, reaching St. Petersburg. However, the nineteenth century affected by the Guerra de la Independencia, and the Guerra Carlista, the loss of the colonies and the ravages of phylloxera, events negatively affecting the economic development of the city.
Fortunately, these disasters will be partially offset investments by American who had returned home after making his fortune in the New World.
Phylloxera appeared in Sitges in the last decade of the nineteenth century, but failed to destroy Malvasia wine production sweet and smooth, typical of this area, that the citizens of Sitges were been exported to America since the eighteenth century. The year 1881 will reach the railway and the gas and water pipes, on the other hand, opening the road through Garraf mountains, that connects faster with Barcelona.
The twentieth century opened new horizons. Indeed, the Foment de Sitges , founded in 1901 is to promote tourism, promoting the natural beauty of the place and the open character of its inhabitants. The painter Santiago Rusinol and the modernist movement also contribute greatly to this promotion, reaching built in 1901 which was considered the best hotel in Catalonia.

source:
www.raco.cat

Speak Your Mind

*